04 December 2017, News
Vacancy in the Academic Standards Committee of AFDA
AFDA (The South African School of Motion Picture Medium and Live Performance) is the leading film, television and performance school in SA with campuses in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban and Port Elizabeth. In 2017 AFDA graduates won 40 SAFTA awards and AFDA became a member of prestigious new higher education company Stadio. AFDA is a member of the international body of film schools, Cilect. See www.afda.co.za.
The AFDA values are passion, integrity, self discipline, humility, and reliability.
Applications are invited for a position in AFDA’s Academic Standards Committee.
An experienced manager of quality assurance (QA) in higher education, the incumbent will ensure that the quality of the educational offer is evaluated and ensured. You will engage with Campus Deans, Registrars, Heads of academic Schools, the AFDA Council, lecturers, students, parents and external stakeholders. The incumbent will be an excellent organiser and communicator with a proactive approach and the gravitas to represent academic management with dignity while facilitating buy-in and engaging with millennials and centennials. You will have the multi-tasking ability and flexibility to work in this dynamic and ever-evolving environment, will work well under pressure to meet tight deadlines, and will travel to AFDA campuses.
- Ten years’ experience in higher education (e.g. lecturing, assessment; curriculum development)
- Experience in higher education quality management for creative disciplines.
- At least 3 years experience in implementing statutory requirements for Higher Education, incl Setas, CHE (incl HEQC online & NLRD), SAQA and DHET, with a record of successful administration of statutory requirements, such as preparing correspondence and reports for accreditation and registration purposes, collating and submitting annual reports, and communication with external and internal stakeholders to implement requirements of relevant statutory bodies.
- Masters degree.
- Formal training in valid assessment and in outcomes-based or project-based assessment.
- Leadership skills and staff performance management in context of multidisciplinary and creative disciplines and in remote locations.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills to work collaboratively with youth, with senior colleagues (e.g. Deans); and with all colleagues to inspire them with AFDA’s and Stadio’s academic vision; to solve problems and to facilitate their commitment in quality and continuous improvement.
- Highly developed organisational and administrative skills.
- Loyalty, teamwork, confidentiality, gravitas, credibility, independent work ethic, precision, eye for detail, and the ability to have joy and fun at work.
- Strategic alignment to the AFDA goals & values.
- Academic and research skills, incl. research supervision and development.
- Experience in and commitment to integrity in education.
- Cultural awareness and communication skills, experience in coopting diversity.
- Flexibility and experience in change management ,e.g. resilience in a changing environment, ongoing improvement in quality systems.
- Exceptional computer literacy.
- Experience in e-learning, online course development, social media and electronic communication.
- Ability to travel to all AFDA campuses for QA, student and staff support.
- Experience in RPL and CAT.
- Experience in conducting and reporting on student evaluative feedback and surveys, and in liaison with student representative body.
- Experience in timetabling and monitoring it.
- Experience in student orientation and support for students at risk of failure.
- Experience in productive and action-orientated meeting protocol and ability to lead and contribute to meetings.
- Experience in conducting quality checks and receiving, collating and responding to quarterly reports, in order to report on the implementation of curricula, strategic goals, policies and statutory requirements of higher education in Southern Africa.
- Experience in academic policy development with academic peers in a multi-campus context.
- Experience in budget administration (projections, reconciliations, monthly requisitions, annual requests).
- Experience in statistical quality assurance matrices and willingness to use and improve existing AFDA QA systems, for all AFDA campuses in liaison with their Deans, Registrars, Heads of Department and lecturers, and preparing statistical and other reports to AFDA Institutional Senate and to the AFDA Academic Standards committees, and to external stakeholders.
- Experience in procedures for site visits, in order to prepare for statutory site visits and to conduct internal site visits on AFDA campuses .
Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org and state ASC in the subject line
- a CV (no certificates are required at this stage, but at a later stage)
- email and telephone contact details
- 3 references
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. BBBEE welcome.
Type: Full-time fixed-term contract
Office location: Cape Town
Start date: January 2018
Salary: Negotiable on experience and appropriate qualification.
Application Deadline: 6 December 2017