AFDA Cape Town
AFDA (The South African School of Motion Picture Medium and Live Performance) is the leading film school in SA, and a full member of CILECT, the association of the world’s major film and television schools. The AFDA values are passion, self discipline, integrity, reliability and humility.
Applications are invited for the position of:
Production Course Head of School.
As the Production Course Head of School, AFDA is looking for a committed and dedicated industry professional to lecture and provide support to undergraduate students in their core course modules. The position requires someone with drive and initiative who is able to motivate students and guide them into the world of theory and application across all the schools within the Undergraduate class. The candidate needs to demonstrate a willingness to embrace AFDA’s unique pedagogy which is the basis of the interdisciplinary teaching at AFDA. There is also a strong emphasis on cultural relevance within the teaching, and the need to help the students identify and develop a distinctive African voice to their productions.
- Lecturing 1st, 2nd and 3rd year degree students
- Assessment of written and practical work across the Undergraduate school
- Management of the online Learning and communications platform – my.afda – for the Production Course
- Conducting student consultations and reflective meetings
- Preparing content and lesson plans for each term
- Assessment registration for the term’s assessments
- Working with counter-parts to ensure parity across all campuses on term outcomes
- Attendance registers and class management administration
- Timetable planning
- Curriculum development
Requirements and Personal Attributes:
- Relevant Master’s degree in Film, Television, Live Performance and/or Media Studies
- At least 5 years’ experience in the film and entertainment industry
- Experience of Higher Education Pedagogy and /Curriculum Development
- Exceptionally Strong Administrative Skills
- Computer literacy
- Highly developed organizational and people management skills
- Maturity to handle a range of situations
- A meticulous and thorough nature
- An ability to work to tight deadlines
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Loyalty and a high level of confidentiality
- Honest and trustworthy – committed to high integrity of excellence.
- Culturally aware and sensitive.
Please send the following to Recruitmentcpt@afda.co.za
- a CV (no certificates)
- email and telephone contact details
- 3 references
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Type: Full-time fixed-term contract
Campus location: Observatory, Cape Town
Start date: ASAP
Salary: Negotiable on experience and appropriate qualification.