AFDA Cape Town
AFDA (The South African School of Motion Picture Medium and Live Performance) is the leading film school in SA, and a full member of CILECT, the association of the world’s major film and television schools. The AFDA values are passion, self-discipline, integrity, reliability and humility.
Applications are invited for the position of:
Head of Television School.
This position requires the candidate to hold a MA or equivalent professional qualification and experience in the television industry. As Head of the AFDA Cape Town TV School, you will be overseeing the day to day function of the television school as well as all administrative and academic requirements. Collaboration with the Film school and Live Performance schools enabling discipline integration is also a function of the position. You should be an excellent organiser and communicator with a proactive and friendly attitude. You are required to have a multi-tasking ability and flexibility to work in this dynamic and ever-evolving educational environment, and should be able to work well under pressure and to meet tight deadlines.
The following duties are expected to be fulfilled:
- Overseeing the day to day functions of the television school as well as all administrative requirements
- Managing students’ academic activities
- Planning and overseeing student’s productions
- Managing all permanent and ad hoc teaching staff
- Managing the school’s budget ensuring all expenses for the department are being captured and monitored.
- Overseeing and scheduling all timetabled activities
- Dealing with students individually, in groups and in class
- Planning timetables, workshops
- Assist in growing and marketing the television school
- Assist in developing curriculum to ensure that the school is a leader in methodology, up-to-date technical proficiency and the latest broadcasting trends
- CAPEX planning for equipment and facilities
- Attending and reporting on the schools performance and progress at management meetings.
- Preparing statistics for Quarterly Board Report.
- At least 10 years’ experience in the television broadcast environment, including live television.
- Relevant Honours degree in Television, Film, Media Studies or related field.
- Academic exposure with at least 5 years lecturing/teaching experience in a higher educational institution
- Computer literacy
- Highly developed organisational and managerial skills
- Maturity to handle a range of situations
- A meticulous and thorough nature
- An ability to work to tight deadlines
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Loyalty and a high level of confidentiality
- Honest and trustworthy – committed to high integrity of excellence
- Culturally aware and sensitive.
Please send the following to Recruitmentcpt@afda.co.za
- a CV (no certificates)
- email and telephone contact details
- 3 references
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Type: Full-time fixed-term contract
Campus location: Observatory, Cape Town
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: Negotiable on experience and appropriate qualification.